FROGGY

FROGGY

Saturday, April 14, 2012

TIME FLYS WHEN YOUR HAVING FUN

   It's amazing how fast the time goes by. It seems like only yesterday, it was really yesterday! I took an off farm job to try and help out with the things I can't raise on the farm. It's great! I really think I have finally found a place that will allow me to challenge myself in a thriving marketplace and help people at the same time by providing a service.

   On the other hand I can already see that now I will have to really buckle down or I will easily get behind on my farm chores and family responsibilities. I know I can handle it though, it will just take a little more attention to details. The exciting thing is in the last three days I've already put in almost 30 hours on the job, and the time has just flown by! It's nice to have somewhere to go again and be a part of something.

   This evening, after a 10 hour day at work, I turned the chickens out and watched them scratch for bugs and worms while being pestered by the baby goats. The kids think the chickens are just fluffy playmates. A couple of well placed pecks on the nose suddenly changed all that! After feeding everybody and watering them, I eased down to the garden to see if the weeds had took over everything yet. To my pleasure it didn't look to bad yet. I know I'll need to hoe it again in a day or two to keep it clean. I watered the squash, eggplants, tomatoes, & peppers that are still in the cups. I plan on putting them in the ground this coming week. Last week is known as "DEAD WEEK" by all the old time farmers I grew up with. You don't plant on the week after Easter. It's an old superstition, but I need all the luck I can stand, so why chance it.

   I have been a little worried about our smallest of the triplet goats. "Trinity" is getting around fine, but she is so much smaller than her sisters. We have been bottle feeding her extra milk supplements, but she doesn't seem to be drinking a  whole lot of it. A few times when they start to nurse I have held one of the other sisters in my arms to allow "Trinity" a little extra time at the teat. She is loud enough though. You can hear her good when she is looking for momma. Hopefully in a couple of days she will start catching up with her sisters.

   Tonight is Prom night for my youngest son "Pumpkin Head". His  Mom took pictures of him and his date in their formal wear before they left for the party. Man! They sure grow up fast. Seems like we only taught the boy to walk a couple of years ago and now his out boogie-ing the night away.

   Well it's time for me to boogie myself a little closer to a room with a pillow in it. If the good Lord's willing & the creek don't rise I'll holler back at ya tomorrow!

Jim Cobb Coleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment