FROGGY

FROGGY

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

STARTING SEEDS

Yesterday evening "Big Momma" and I got real dirty! We sat on the front porch and sat out 48 cups of seeds for our garden. We planted 12 cups of banana peppers, 12 cups of heirloom ferris wheel tomatoes, 12 cups of cayenne peppers, and 12 cups of onions.

Today I'm adding 12 cups of black cherry heirloom tomatoes, 12 cups of Roma tomatoes, 10 cups of straight 8 cucumbers, 10 cups of red cherry tomatoes, 10 cups of crookneck squash, and 8 cups of California Wonder bell peppers.

All of the potting soil I'm using is home grown out of my compost bin. I save all vegetable scraps , coffee grinds, egg shells, grass clippings, leaves, an occaisional can of beer, and a little seasoned manure. Give it a couple of months in my homemade compost tumbler, or a couple of years slow cooking in a big pile and there you go. Composting was one of my favorite areas in the Master Gardener Program with the County Extension Service. Anyone can do it and it only takes up a little space in your yard. First chance I get I'll add photos of my homemade composter it's easy to make and very inexpensive.


In between showers I hope to actually get my peas and butterbeans in the ground this week. So far this week no luck yet. Our tax-man called today and needs some money so I have to go see him in a little while, and I hope to go help do some grass cutting over at the Church this afternoon before service this evening. It's gonna be another buzy one here on the farm, but that's how we like it. If you get the chance stop by there's always room for another planter on the front porch.

Jim Cobb

No comments:

Post a Comment