FROGGY

FROGGY

Monday, July 2, 2012

PREPARING FOR THE 4TH

   Saturday, after trying to help my Mom with my Dad, I traveled down to my hunting club property to try and do a little weed eating and brush clearing around the deer stands. By the time I got down there it was too late and too hot to do anything that evening. The temps were around 103 & 105 degrees, with a heat index of 110-112 degrees, our hottest days ever.

   I spent the evening catching up with my cousin, relaxing and talking about what's been going on with my Dad. It was nice to just talk and try to relax. The next morning after coffee, I headed toward my deer stand to try and get my work done before the heat got so unbearable. Just as I approached my area, my cell phone went off. Another member of the club had caught a couple of wild hogs in his trap and wanted to know if I wanted the pigs.

   No way a fat boy like me was going to turn down some free bar-b-que. So needless to say I didn't get any clearing done. I turned the truck around and went back to camp, I had two hogs to clean. Between the the two pigs there was around 160 pounds of meat on the hoof. Just in time for a traditional 4th of JUly BAR-B-QUE!!! Both pigs were young. I'd guess they were 1 year old or younger. Just right for a tender and juicy meal or two.

   Come the third, I'll build a good oak fire down by the garden. When the wood burns down to a good size pile of orange glowing embers, I'll shovel them to my bar-b-que pit so I can slow cook the meat. It takes a little more time, but it makes the meat a whole lot more juicier. By cooking it on the 3rd I'll get to enjoy the AC and food with the family on the 4th.

   I hope your 4th of July plans are taking shape as well!

Jim Cobb Coleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment