FROGGY

FROGGY

Monday, July 9, 2012

EXPERIMENT- DAY 3

   As I have said in the past, I am a hunter. I hunt because I love being in the woods. To live like the Indians did. To outwit my prey, and to feed my family. I love every aspect of the hunting lifestyle. I try to use everything of the animals I take.

   Last hunting season I was lucky enough to take a nice 8 point buck. The cost to mount the head by a taxidermist is around 400 dollars. That's a lot of money in today's tough economic times. So I decided to do a European mount. A European mount consists of the naked skull and horns attached to a board, cost around 20 dollars . BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

   I know not everyone is a hunter, so this method of saving money wouldn't work for everyone. But to us guys who do, it will allow us to have the difference in money to be able to go towards other things, and that's the name of the game.

   Earlier I began the process of mounting my deer skull by boiling the skull. Yesterday I bleached the skull to help in whitening it. After that I drilled a small hole into the back of the skull so it could be attached to the board it will be mounted on. This is my first time doing this , so it has been a learning process. Sure I made mistakes along the way, and I will improve on what I'll do the next time. But, I did the job at a fraction of the cost a traditional mount would have cost and I got done with it a lot quicker than it would have been by going to a taxidermist even if I paid them to do a European mount.

   I don't think it turned out too bad for my first try!

Jim Cobb Coleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment