FROGGY

FROGGY

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

LETS BUILD A HUNTING TRUCK

   A little while ago I got my Dad's pickup truck. We needed another vehicle so " BIG MOMMA " now drives the big truck and I have Dad's Dodge Dakota. The trucks paint was flaking in some areas, and it was white. Nothing wrong with a white truck, but not for one that's going to be in the woods. I liked hunter green better, so with Dad's blessing I got a few cans of spray paint and went to town. Because I did such a bad job painting it from a distance it looks real good, almost like it was tiger striped. Up close you can see everywhere I got too close as I painted. If you won't tell I won't!

   The windshield wipers didn't work the motor was bad. So yesterday I got a new motor and installed it. It still didn't work. The armature on the back of the motor didn't make contact with the bars that move the wipers. I learned this by removing the hood and a large part of the top of the truck to get to it. But now I know how it works. Today I hope I got the necessary parts to fix it but now I have to take the car apart again.

   Before I got the truck the passenger side tail light was broken. So today while I was at the parts store I got them to order me a new tail light assembly. It should be here tomorrow. The truck is 22 years old. It is a 2-wheel drive vehicle, and a stick shift. I can not afford to go buy a 10k UTV, or a 5K 4wheeler. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have. I grew up hunting in 2 wheel drive vehicles, instead of plowing through the mud holes you learned to stradle them. You're vehicle didn't get as muddy and you didn't tear up the land as bad.

   When it gets a little closer to hunting season I'll try to get a pair of mud grip tires for the backend of the truck. If I can afford it, I'll try to put on a small electric winch on the truck in case I do get stuck. All this work will be done by me. Even though the parts will cost some money, it will be nowhere near the cost of a offroad vehicle. I am not a mechanic by trade. My Dad taught me some, most is trial and error. You do what you can. Poor folks have to make do.

   Jim Cobb Coleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment