FROGGY

FROGGY

Thursday, March 24, 2011

SNOW AND A FROGGY DAY

  RIB IT, RIB IT!!! Early this morning it was a froggy(foggy) start to the day. Not real bad where you can't see, but a kind of a low spooky fog like the ghosts are out and hovering through the hills and hollows. It was low to the ground so it burnt off quickly as the sun climbed up in the sky.
  I stopped by the U.S.D.A. Dept. to see if they had any info on dairy/meat goat programs and the possibility of any grants. They said they were unaware of any such critters. Oh well, it's not the first time I've been told no, and it won't be the last. I'll just have to figure out something on my own.
  I want to get some more goats and try to make some money with milk, butter, cheese, and the occaisional meat purchase. I figure with the growing number of immigrants the demand would be there. I also want to sell  some eggs as my chickens fire up production. We normally have more than my family can use. So why not?
  My lovely wife, a.k.a. "Big Momma", told me she was ready to plant our herb garden and for me to have everything ready when she got home. I went to the compost bin and dug up 4 - 5 gallon buckets full of potting soil. Iwent down to the barn and got the seeds, hand trowels, clay pots, and styrofoam cups. An old coke tray will be used to hold the cups.
  When she got home and changed clothes, she filled 5 or 6 pots with cilantro and I set out 6 cups of beefsteak tomatoes and 6 or 7 cups of Doe Hill peppers. While we were working, the wind got up pretty good and it started "snowing" . The wind blew hard enough to tear the white blooms of my Bradford pear trees off. Even though it's March in Alabama it looked like a snowstorm. I wish it was Fall. As it is, my pickup is half pollen yellow & half snow white from the blooms.
  Welcome to Springtime in Dixie!!

Jim Cobb

No comments:

Post a Comment