FROGGY

FROGGY

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A DEATH IN THE FAMILY

I learned yesterday that a boy I went to school with passed away Monday. It's been 30 years since we were together at school. We did not hang around together. We were not really friends. Sometimes we spoke, but most times we just passed each other by between classes.

So why do I even remember him? Because a couple of years before we graduated, we had an interaction together one day at school. He probably didn't remember it, but it's one I never forgot and now I never will.


This boy was in trouble. He had a serious problem, and I was able to help him out this time. I don't even remember if he ever said thank you or not. It didn't matter.


This boy was from a well-to-do family. I was from a normal middle class family. He had anything he wanted, while I had what I needed. I was never jealous of him because money never mattered to me. At the time, I never knew he had more money than we did. I never thought of things like that.


Years went by and I saw him again. He was doing great, I thought.He was set up with a high paying job in the family business. He married a pretty girl from school, had kids, a big house, everything anyone could want and plenty of money. But!! He didn't look happy.

In the paper today, it didn't list his wife as a survivor. They were taking him straight to the graveside. I heard it was said , let's just get through with this, by his family.

I don't know what happened in this boys life. I guess it is like "they" say, money can't buy you happiness. But money or no money, I can't imagine treating a Son like that. Like I said, we weren't really friends ,but he deserved better than that.

I heard he was hurting,... I hope he found peace.

Jim Cobb Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment